Skip to main content

Celebrating Lunar New Year


Happy Thursday crafty friends!  Ashley D. here!  Lunar New Year, or Chinese New Year as it’s commonly called, is coming soon - just 5 days until we ring in the Year of the Pig!  And one of my all-time favorite sets has to be Mama Elephants Lion Dance!  


To create this festive card, I began by die cutting a red frame from Bazzill Wax Lips cardstock using Mama Elephant’s Tri Window Cover die.  I then splattered it with Blue Gold Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolor paint, backing it with a panel cut from Bristol Smooth Cardstock ink blended with Distress Oxide ink in Squeezed Lemonade, splattered with a quick spray of water for added texture.  For a bit of depth, I adhered it with foam tape.  


I then stamped several images from Mama Elephant’s Lion Dance and Mama Elephant’s Lunar Extras in Memento Tuxedo Black ink, and colored them with Copic markers (Y11.Y15, Y17, R02, R05, R27, R11-for the cheeks, E000, E00, E50. N3, N5, W3, W5, W7, and C7).  And added a bit of white highlights with a GellyRoll 08 pen, cutting them out with the corresponding dies.  


For the Chinese banner, I stamped the New Year sentiment from Mama Elephant’s Lunar Extras with clear embossing ink onto a scrap piece of the same red Bazzill Wax Lips cardstock and heat embossed with gold embossing powder.  I then die cut it with an Avery Elle Banner die.  


To assemble the card, I adhered all the pieces with foam adhesive to provide depth.  Happy stamping and Happy Chinese New Year - bring on the festivities!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each!

I used my We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool for the first time and loved it! I cut my own Tim Holtz watercolor paper to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by Lawn Fawn Hello Baby with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral Distress Inks and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron Distress Inks.  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things Snuggle Bunnies for the girl and Magical Dragons for the boy.  I colored m…

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog.  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!  
Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards. 
What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.    
For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.  

I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks will work the same.  It&#…

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew, one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog, and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN!

With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products.  
First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set.  

I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI, then turned on the music and sat and colored.

  I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush.  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vellum and wrapped it around the card …