Skip to main content

"Photo" Card

Hello!  I'm thrilled to join the Butterfly Reflections, Ink. design team this term and I look forward to sharing some fun projects with you.  The idea for this "photo" card was actually a collaboration with my 8-year-old son, who is my crafty side-kick!  I recently ordered the Lawn Fawn say cheese, again dies and some Lawn Fawn acetate from the Butterfly Reflections, Ink. shop.  I knew that I wanted to make a photo with a glossy surface, just like an actual polaroid picture.  My son had the idea to put the photo on a "bulletin board" ... we had a lot of fun brainstorming the best way to create it!

I started the whole project by tracing the photo die shape on some marker-friendly paper and planning out my images within the frame.  The mouse is from Lawn Fawn's mice on ice stamp set, his hat is from Lawn Fawn's holiday party animal stamp set, and the berries and house are from Lawn Fawn's frosty fairy friends stamp set (I LOVE that set for winter images!).  After stamping the images, I created some masks so that I could ink blend the background of the "photo."

I used broken china distress oxide ink (with some splashes of water) for my background and Copic markers to color my scene (E31, E33, E37, E39, V01, V12, V15, V17, V09, B000, N5, N3, N1, W1, W00, R20, YG67, YG17 and YG25).  I also used W00 and W1 to color the frame of my photo so that it wasn't just stark white.

Next, I created my "bulletin board."  I used Copic markers to dot (and dot and dot and dot ...) paper I had cut using the Lawn Fawn stitched rectangle die.  I ended up using E31, E33, E53 and E21 to get some color variation and the mottled look of cork.

I created the "frame" for the bulletin board by using the same stitched rectangle die to cut Lawn Fawn black card stock, this time using the outside piece.  To assemble the card, I adhered the acetate to the back of the photo frame, the photo frame to the "photo," and then the framed photo to the "bulletin board."  I attached the bulletin board piece and the bulletin board frame to card stock folded to an A2 card size.  For a finishing touch, I used glossy accents on the bulletin board frame as well as on the "pin" (a circle cut from black card stock and adhered with foam tape).  I embossed a sentiment from the mice on ice set with silver embossing powder on a Lawn Fawn everyday sentiment banner and attached it to the card with more foam tape.

I hope this card inspires you to make your own photo card ... I think this idea would be so fun with a real photo in the frame!  


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel