Skip to main content

Happy Galentine's Day!

I know, I know.  Crafters have moved on from Valentine's Day projects, but it's actually Valentine's Day so I had to share one last card!  I made this "Galentine's Day" card for a friend of mine whose husband is deployed.  I'm pairing it with some bath bombs, so I used an underwater theme and, for this non-traditional card, I went with a more non-traditional color palette than the usual reds and pinks associated with Valentine's Day.

I just love this peek-a-boo style card!  To start, I cut smooth Bristol card stock to 4.25 x 5.5" and used Lawn Fawn stitched circle dies to cut circles in random spots ... this piece will become the upper layer.  On a second piece of smooth Bristol card stock (also cut to 4.25 x 5.5"), I used mermaid lagoon and vintage photo Distress Oxide Inks to add color in the areas that would fall beneath the circles ... this piece will become the lower layer.  I also splattered some blue and brown acrylic paint on the lower layer (neat circles are not really necessary for the oxide ink or the paint splatters because anything out of the circular area will be hidden by the upper layer).  

While the bottom layer dried, I stamped images from Lawn Fawn's you are sublime, octopi my heart, and so jelly stamp sets with black Copic-friendly ink.  I colored the images with Copic markers (V12, V15 and V17; V05, V06 and V09; BV01, BV02, BV04 and BV08; R81, R83 and R85; YG25, YG17 and YG67; Y21 and Y26) and cut them out with the coordinating dies (you are sublime dies, octopi my heart dies and so jelly dies).  

Next, I stamped the sentiment onto the top layer with black Versafine ink, quickly added clear embossing powder on top and heat set.  (For the sentiment, I selectively inked the happy and day words from Lawn Fawn's simply sentiments stamp set, and used Milo's ABCs stamp set to spell out Galentine's).  I added details to the stamped images with a white gel pen (highlights) and a black gel pen (eyes) and added glossy accents to the heart bubbles.  

To give the card extra dimension, I used foam tape to adhere the top layer (with the die cut holes) to the bottom layer (with the ink blended backgrounds) and glued both layers to a card base.  I tucked the sea creatures around the card so that they would be peeking out of the holes (trimming as necessary to fit better) and swimming around the card ... my favorite is that little upside-down star fish at the bottom!  

This style of card can be modified for so many different occasions.  I hope that you give it a try, and I hope that you have a wonderful Valentine's Day/Galentine's Day/Friday, crafty friends!


Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel